1. Maine wild blueberries
2. Percival Baxter (after Piero della Francesca). Baxter (1876-1969) singlehandedly purchased Katahdin and the surrounding 200,000 acres and donated it all to the state.
3. Maple Daphne
4. A surplus of calcium for one little mouse
5. Katahdin Stream Falls
6. The Knife Edge
7. Katahdin from Abol Bridge
8. Maple leaf and white pine needle medallions
9. The Summit (variation on Verocchio and Church). At 5,268 feet, Katahdin's Baxter Peak is the highest point in Maine.
10. Bald Eagle. Back from the brink of extinction, a symbol of the potential for people to reverse our most destructive behaviors.
11. Chickadee: Maine state bird
12. Appalachian Trail blaze. Katahdin is the northern terminus of the AT.
13. Campfire Scene (after Gentile da Fabriano)
14. The Hike
15. Naptime, Roaring Brook (after Mantegna)
17. Mountain cranberries
18. The Knife Edge from Helon Taylor Trail
19. Katahdin Sheep (after Thoreau)
20. Hemlock St. Francis (after Bellini)
21. Katahdin from Patten
"What is this Titan that has possession of me? Talk of mysteries! Think of our life in nature--daily to be shown
matter, to come in contact with it--rocks, trees, wind on our cheeks! The solid earth! the actual world! the common
sense! Contact! Contact!"
--Thoreau, Ktaadn, 1864
All artwork copyright Michael P. Branca